As October brings cooler weather, the at-home crafts become much more essential to the weekends in our household! Before throwing away your child's jack-o-laterns at the end of Halloween, consider this fun experiment where the pumpkin becomes a vessel of a volcano explosion!
You will need:
- A small pumpkin
- Baking soda
- White vinegar
- Food colouring (optional)
- Liquid dish soap
- Remove the top of the pumpkin and hollow it out by removing all of the seeds and loose pulp. Carve a face or other design if you like.
- Place the pumpkin on a tray or protected surface because this is going to get messy!
- Pour about ½ cup of baking soda inside the pumpkin.
- Squirt some dish soap over the baking soda.
- Add a few drops of food colouring to a cup of vinegar.
- When you are ready, pour the coloured vinegar into the pumpkin and enjoy the show!
You can repeat the volcano eruption as many time as you'd like!
This DIY is brought to you by: www.chicagobotanic.org